LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939220540

From: "Chris Draisey" <>
Subject: Skindressers
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 09:35:40 -0500

I'm interested in getting some background information on
"skindressing" workplaces at the turn of the century. I believe this
refers to the tanning of hides, etc. which seems rather unusual for
the London area. My gt.grandfather was a timekeeper at such an
establishment in Westminster, probably near Horseferry Rd. I assume
he was responsible for keeping records of employees' hours, and
perhaps general accounting?

Are there any books on this subject? Would any of the Archives have
records or details about such establishments?

Thanks,
Christine

This thread: