LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939224012

From: "Tumesrj" <>
Subject: Captain Henry Belstead
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 01:03:32 +0930

Greetings from Adelaide, South Australia. I am the great-great-grandaughter of Captain Henry BELSTEAD, 85th King's Own Light Infantry, who with his wife Maria and five children left England on the "Platina" 6.9.1845 to take up the position of Superintendent of convicts at the penal settlement of Norfolk Island. The family subsequently settled in Tasmania.
I was delighted to glean information about Henry from Pigots 1839 directory for Richmond, Surrey. I know the christening dates for the children born in Richmond - I.G.I. I have traced descendants for three of the children Charles Torrens BELSTEAD, Francis BELSTEAD, and Harriott Russell SMITH (my line) in Australia, and thanks to the 1881 Census, have found that Helen Susan PADBURY and Charlotte Maria Murray HUISH returned to England and had further children.
Question:1 Is Henry Cramer BELSTEAD, c Saint Mary Reading Berkshire 19.5.1930 (I.G.I.) in fact a member of the same family? Did he die in childhood, as he did not come to Australia?
2 Would the Times have details of the family's departure from England or other events pertaining to them?
3 Any suggestions as to how I can find out Maria's maiden name.
Also researching:George Henry Cole 1836 Appledore- Headmaster Combe Martin, Bewdley
wife Maria Stutchbury 1841 - Seething Lane

Sorry it was a long one! Jill Tumes.

This thread: