LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939252697

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: China man
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 00:31:37 +0100

>The china dealer discussion has renewed a curiosity I have had for some
>time. My 4X gt grandfather's occupation was listed on his son's law
>clerk's apprenticeship papers, in 1776, as a china man.

Certainly, if he sold actual china - porcelain, in large sets to the
gentry and great institutions. It was a highly profitable business at
the top end of the market (shading down to cracked seconds on the
streets.)
Think of your man as being a high class importer and merchant to the
upper classes. Naturally, his sons would do their best to get into
professions, comfortably despising the honest work which had provided
them with the money to do so.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society