LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939319226

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: London birth record/do I have enough info?
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:00:26 +0100

> I have an Anna ELLIOTT, b. September 27, 1861, in London, to Edward ELLIOTT
>and the former Emily HODSON.
> If I send in a request to the GRO (Southport/Merseyside), with just this
>info, will they have a reasonable chance of finding the certificate, or will
>they laugh and think," oh you silly American, didn't you know....."
Not at all - should be enough, provided
a. you send them 11 pounds
b. the baby was actually registered, since it was not compulsory, just
available then, and it was up to the registrar to chase the ladies round
and ask.
c. provided you put 'or any similar spelling or information' against the
names, because some of the ONS staff are distressingly literal, and
chuck the application out if it varies a tiny bit (Hannah, ELIOT,
Edwin, Emma, HODGSON, for example)
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society