LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939324487

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Politically Correct?
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 20:28:07 +0100

In message <026101bf1068$bfe71960$>, Margaret Follett
<> writes
>I'm trying to find out when the people of England got the vote. I know that
>various amendments were brought in at various times, does SKS know which years
>(e.g. women got the vote, people under 21, etc.).

too involved to do the lot, but women over 30 who were stable
householders or wives of same opr settled lodgers got the vote at 30 in
1919, women over 21, without qualification, in 1929. This applies to the
real vote, for Parliamentary elections. Before that, women from 1869
who owned property might vote in local parish etc council elections, if
they had the nerve. Gradually, token women councillors began to appear -
Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, the first English woman to qualify as a
doctor, even became Mayor of Aldeburgh (where there were family
connections). Locally, Mrs Rothschild, a very rich widow who owned half
the village, didn't quite dare to take over as chairman of the parish
council, but she put her butler in place instead.
Under 21 - vote at 18 from 1979, was it? One of these catchpenny ideas
which didn't quite have the desired effect.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: