LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939373512

From: "Eleanor Kliffen" <>
Subject: Re: Hackney & St Patrick's Cemetery
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:05:12 +0100

Dear Mary
Addresses for history in Hackney... do you mean websites or addresses you
can write to? In either case, start with:
http://www.hackney.gov.uk/history/

Thought you might be interested in books, too...

Assuming you have a wide timerange of interest, start with "The London
Encyclopaedia" which should be available at your library. Then I can
recommend "Hackney & Stoke Newington Past" by Isobel Watson (ISBN
0-948667-08-7) and, if your interest extends into this century, "Hackney at
War" by Jennifer Golden (ISBN 0-7509-0860-2) is very good.

St Patrick's Catholic Cemetery is in the Leyton area, on Langthorne Road,
London. E11. The telephone number is (0181) 539 2451. I have found them very
helpful in hunting down family graves - miraculously in this day and age,
all the records appear to be there on site for the consulting.

This link will take you to a map of the area:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=538750&Y=186250&arrow=Y

And this one will show you a streetmap of central Hackney:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?grid2map?X=534750&Y=184750&arrow=Y

Hope this helps
Best wishes
Elli