LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939411867

From: "JohnFHH" <>
Subject: Re: Skindressers
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 20:44:27 +0100

Hi Christine,
As far as I know, Bermondsey was the principal centre for by-products from
the slaughterhouses - Furs, skins, tanning, leather, glues, fcombs, bone
goods, fur & beaver hats, - there is an interesting account of this by the
famous writer V.S.PRITCHETT in his autobiography."A Cab at the Door"
(1968) - he worked in a Bermondsey Leather factory 1916-1920.
There is nmich useful information in Stephen INWOOD's recently-published
"History of London".
He makes these pints: Bermondsey became the cntre of the leather industry
because it was the nearest point to London where noxious trades were not
banned, convenient for sklaughterhouses and the docks for imported hides
alike. Bermondsey leather Market (Weston Street was extablished in the
17th.cent.
Estimayed that a third of nation's leather produced in Bermondsey in 1850.-
HTH
Cheers

John Henley (if it bounces try again, trouble with ISP, I am still here:-) ]
You could also try
researching
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [Staffs/Cambs/Berks]