LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939554421

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Travel agents
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 12:20:21 +0100

> Is there anyone out there who can tell me what "travel agents" would
>have been known as in the 1920s? My grandfather worked as a clerk for his
>father-in-law who I am told was a travel agent either in London or Lewisham.
> I have searched through directories but cannot find any reference for
>this kind of work at all.

Presumably much as they are now, obtaining tickets for rail, bus and
steamship journeys, though inside as well as outside the country. Thomas
Cook started the idea when he arranged trips on the new Manchester
railway nearly a century before, and really made a killing with the
Great Exhibition in 1851.
I think package tours would have been much rarer, though there may
have been tie-ups to existing major hotels abroad.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: