LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939558816

From: "JohnFHH" <>
Subject: Re: Fireman in 1849
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:33:36 +0100

Hi Karen,
Fireman could have been on the railways, yes.
The London Fire Brigade began 1833 with 90 fulltime firemen.
Before then responsibility of Parishes/Vestries and of Insurance Companies.
LFB replaced by Metropolitan Fire Brigade 1865 under Captain Shaw (of
"Iolanthe" fame.)
LCC took over the MFB and re-named it London Fire Brigade in1904.
They may well have archives.
HTH
Cheers

John Henley (if it bounces try again, trouble with ISP, I am still here:-) ]
You could also try
researching
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [Staffs/Cambs/Berks]