LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939657972

From: "John Henley" <>
Subject: Re: DEYKES; Strawberry Villas
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 17:06:12 +0100

Hi Karen
Are you sure it was the "Marylebone Episcopal Church"
"Episcopal Church" is a designation only used in the British Isles in
Scotland, where the Anglican Church is known as the Scottish Episcopal
Church; and by a few small breakaway sects, which had/have perhaps one or
two churches/chapels.
What exactly does the marriage certificate say? Especially across the top
and underneath the boxes with the details - "Married in --------- according
to the rites of --------------------- by me ---------"
If you have not yet obtained a certificate , then you should consider doing
so, as this will give you the precise location of the wedding, and greatly
aid your researches.
St.Marylebone was an ecclesiastical parish in 1861 with a parish church. It
was also a civil parish/vestry which contained a number of other
ecclesiastical parish churches all available for weddings.
There is a place called Strawberry Hill in Middlesex, in Twickenham.
Strawberry Villas was a very popular house-name, and could have been
anywhere.
HTH
Cheers

John Henley (if it bounces try again, trouble with ISP, I am still here:-) ]
You could also try
researching
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [Staffs/Cambs/Berks]