LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939849639

From: Francis Hardy-Birt <>
Subject: Re: Personnel Records
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 07:20:39 +1000

Rosemary,
I also heard this from my mother. An uncle of hers was registered Henry
George MANSEL (christened Henry Charles, but called Harry) and went to
work for Harvey Nicholls in their Gent's Dept. There was already a Harry
there so he was called Spencer instead.
This seems to mean that in Harvey Nicholls (at least) it was more an
informal naming based on the first names, rather than a company enforced
name change of family name.
--
Francis

Mailto:
Searching for:
HA-RDY in NTT & DEV / BI-RT in GLS & MDX / FO-OK in DEV & MDX
PRIT-CHARD in GLS / MO-RRIS in GLA / MA-NSEL in GLA / DA-VIS in KENt /
BA-KER in KENt