LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0939917636

From: Ian Newman <>
Subject: Re: STEVENS
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 00:13:56 +0800

At 11:00 12-10-99 +1300, Margaret Armstrong wrote:
>On 1891 census living at 82 Livingstone Road, Battersea.
>
>STEVENSWilliam - head - age 32 - Railway Porter - born Notting Hill
>(father James)
>STEVENSSophia - wife - age 36 - born Notting Hill (maiden surname COLLINS)
>STEVENSErnest William - son - age 10 - born Notting Hill
>STEVENSEllen - daughter - age 7 - born Notting Hill
>STEVENSMaud - daughter - age 4 - born Battersea
>STEVENSWilliam - son - age 2 - born Battersea
>
>Contact eagerly sought of any descendant.

G'day Margaret,
I always look up names for those of you way over there, as there seems to
me to have been many NZ/Western Australia connections of families over the
years. <Maybe due to the shipping routes?>

I've found 2 STEVENS in "The Cyclopedia of Western Australia" (1913):

STEVENS Frank William Buck "native of Wellington NZ, born 16/12/1867.
He is a son of the late Mr. Francis STEVENS, who was for many years
prominently associated with the Civil Service of the Dominion." [much
snipped here about his life in Wellington, then WA]
He was private secretary to our resident engineering genius of the day C Y
O'Connor for around ten years from early 1892.

STEVENS George Philip "..born at Keynsham, Somerset, England
24/06/1861. When only seven years of age he was brought to WA by his
parents, and after some years of schooling entered the Post and Telegraph
Department on April 13, 1874." and so on.

I realise they are possibly no relation, but may be of some interest to
you. I can send you the full biogs. via fax or e-mail, as I have now got my
`puter up and working fully after a long stint out of action (e-mails
worked correctly though!

Please let me know and we can arrange it privately.

Cheers,

Ian Newman
still a bit blustery (the weather, not me!)

researching:
DACK, (Norfolk?)
DIMOND (Wandsworth)
FOWLER, (Leytonstone, Middlesex)
HARVERSON, (Lowestoft, [Suffolk])
HAWKEN
JENKIN, (Bodmin/Wadebridge, [Cornwall])
NEWMAN, (Hackney/Shoreditch)
ST.CLAIR (Kinloch Rannoch/Aberdeen/Edinburgh/Scone[Scotland])

This thread: