LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940096531

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: LOBAN
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 1999 18:55:31 +0100

In message <>, Chris Edwards
<> writes
>Hi everyone,
>
>I am new to this list and looking for any information on my Nan and her
>family.
>
>She was Maud Clara LOBAN aged 20 and married Henry EDWARDS aged 22 in June
>1905 at the Arthur St Baptist Chapel, St Pancras.
>They were shown living at 26 Kings Cross Road. Her father was William LOBAN,
>a commercial clerk(present at the wedding) and Allan LOBAN was a witness(I
>guess he was a brother, although my Nan never spoke of him). She had a
>sister Amy I. LOBAN who was married in Holborn in 1911 to a MR Tyrell.
>

>Does anybody have any details of either of these families, or could point me
>towards fiche for the St Pancras area for the 1891 census or parish records
>for the Arthur Street Baptist Chapel which might show place of birth?
It is unlikely that the chapel records would show place of birth,
unless they bothered to record this to an existing member. If the
persons or the families arrived and joined later on, as adults, this is
less probable.
What you should do is check the GRO indexes of birth for Maud Clara -
there is unlikely to be more than one of this name. There could very
well be several Henry Edwards, but the marriage certificate will show
his father's name, which will eliminate many of them.
The name is unfamiliar (Logan, yes, Loban, no) but the forename Allan
suggests they could be Scottish in origin, in which case, if there is
no trace in the readily accessible GRO indexes (for England and Wales)
you will need the less commonly accessible Scottish indexes. However,
both are available through Mormon FH centres.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: