LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940189361

From: "Elaine Commander" <>
Subject: Medical Electrician
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 20:42:41 +0100

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions as to the job description of a 'medical electrician'. Unfortunately there was no response from any medical experts on the list but the general consensus of opinion is that it involved some form of convulsive therapy ! Despite electricity being a fairly modern science in 1881, I found another person listed as a ' electric light workman'. I also discovered that large generators were being used at that time but were extremely expensive to run. My ancestor Frederick Curtis was living at 295 Essex Road, Islington at the time & I noticed quite a few of his neighbours were nurses, GPs or dentist. Does anyone know of the nearest hospital to Essex Road at that time ?

Elaine Researching: COMMANDER, ROBERTS, WILSON, WHITTAKER, GIGG

This thread: