LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940258827

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Old English Names
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 16:00:27 +0100

>We have just found a "birthday book" of my late mother's. As the book dates
>back to 1916 we have filled in a lots blanks as to birthdays and some deaths
>beside quite a few names. As some of the entries are "nicknames", not the
>formal given name not all is straight forward. Does anyone have an opinion
>as to what formal name "Bib" would be a nickname for. It has been to me
>suggested that "Bib" is a nickname for Elizabeth. Any suggestions?
Possibly (same grounds as Libby) - or Isabel. It sounds like a baby's
first attempt at saying the name of a sister, which stuck.
I know a woman who was called 'Baby' for many years, since that was
what he big sister called her at 2. This was watered down to 'Bay' when
she was a hefty Guide Captain of a 45 year old. Her name was Lydia.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: