LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940324180

From: "John Henley" <>
Subject: Re: re "dropped child"
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 10:09:40 +0100

Hi Phyllis
As no parents were give, presumably the children were abandoned ("dropped")
on the steps of the workhouse - even in the mud in poor Alfred's case. I
recall a group of entries in St.Pancras register for baptisms of some
children abandoned in that parish. I do not recall the exact details.
eachclergyman had put details of each one's discovery across the
parents'/occupation/address columnns. If my memory serves me right they
received as surname the name of the street in which found.
Out of curiousity I looked to see if Alfred survived until 1881, but there
were only two Mudsons in the entire country, Isaac J & his wife in York.
Cheers

John Henley (if it bounces try again, trouble with ISP, I am still here:-) ]
You could also try reaching me at
researching
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [Staffs/Cambs/Berks]