LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940532521

From: "Roslyn Lomas" <>
Subject: Re: Writing to living relis , word of warning
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 08:02:01 +1300

Good morning Will and other list members
Oh dear, it think that original letter came from me in a reply
to a list letter.

> I sent out over 150 letters and i only received 25 replies ,
>none of which were related at all . It was a huge waste
> of money .

I look at it in this light - there are no living relatives left that
have the information I require, there are no parents listed on
the marriage and death certificates, in fact a total brick wall.
I began writing to Horn surname folk in Middlesex, as this
is the address my ancestor gave when leaving England.
Sure it has cost money, and yes a lot will not reply because
they are not interested OR feel it not necessary to reply as
they are not related - BUT that way they can be eliminated
from my list.

To date I have had some very in-depth replies, which has
given me information to work my way through. This will be
the slow part !

There is one thing I have learnt since beginning my quest
to learn of my heritage, and that is how very kind and helpful
others can be - there are people out there who are kind,
loving and thoughtful - they are the ones who make my heart
sing.

Roslyn of NZ

This thread: