LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940544468

From: "Maggie West" <>
Subject: The next step please?
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 23:21:08 +0100

Hello

I am a relative newcomer to family history... your patience is sought!

The positive? My certificates arrived from Southport - after 12 weeks!
Frustrated by the wait, I joined my local FHS and obtained some references
for marriages, which led me to write to the Superintendent Registrar at the
London Borough of Newham. I was delighted to find the address from a Genuki
site.

The negative? My cheque was, this morning returned, together with a letter
which explained that, on instructions from the Registrar General, it was no
longer possible for protracted searches in Church Indexes to be carried out,
where only the Registrar General's reference is quoted, since this reference
bears no relation to local office indexes. Added to this, the old district
of West Ham, has, since 1935, been split between Newham and and the
Registration district of Waltham Forest. Waltham Forest therefore, holds
some of the West Ham Registers.

Finally, I was advised to contact the Registrar General at Southport!!

Although venting my disappointment through writing, and finding the exercise
cathartic, I tell the tale in the hope that it may help other folk who need
to contact the London Borough of Newham for a certificate.

Question. Is my next step to find a researcher who will physically pick up
the certificates from London for me? I have a lot of family interests in
West Ham, this is not likely to be a 'one-off' situation.

Thank You
Maggie West
Devon.UK

This thread: