LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940602032

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: LOST GRANDFATHER
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 15:20:32 +0100

>Help - I seem to have lost my grandfather. I know when he was born and
>married but can't find his death registration. I was told he died c. 1935
>but in spite of searching all the records I can't find a trace of him. As
>far as I am aware he didn't leave England but I'm at a loss to know where to
>from here.
If he died in England, he would have had to be registered so they could
disp[ose of (i.e. bury) him. But if he died among strangers then if it
possible they didn't know his proper name . If it was Ayton, look for a
registration under Aiton, Eyton, Eaton, Heaton, Hayton, Haydon, etc
The death date could be way out, of course, if someone got the wrong
end of the stick. Wouls he have left any money? The wills indexes are
readily available to 1943 on fiche, and that means one search per year
instead of four.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society