LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940809494

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: CHURCH RECORDS
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:58:14 +0100

>In the 1800's if a couple married in the Catholic church, is it safe to
>assume that they were members of that very church and may have even been
>buried in that church burial ground? If so, how might I obtain records of the
>church? I'm speaking in particular of St. Dunstan's at Stepney.
> Thank you,
Are you sure it was a Catholic church? The only St Dunstan's in Stepney
which is normally referred to is a Church of England church. Surely
Catholics wouldn't name one of theirs with the same name - too confusing
for the flock.
London graveyards were normally closed in 1853, because of the cholera
epidemic, and all burials were reoved to cemeteries then on the
outskirts of the built up area, in Bow and Little Ilford, Manor Park
etc.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society