LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940809882

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Question re an illness.
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 01:04:42 +0100

>I think I remember the disease phthisis from one of the readers. Is it TB? And
>would it cause "delusions" or what exactly would delusions be categorized as?
>Hope someone can explain.
It is tuberculosis - but I would not think that in itself it caused
delusions. The sufferer would get weaker and weaker and cough a lot, and
may have been given something like morphine, opium, laudanum, for the
pain (or even a good slug of whisky) which could have had the side
effect of causing delusions. I can see that someone, knowing he was
under sentence of death, since so many young persons died of it, could
get very introspective and miserable, and start imagining that the world
was against him - so this could become 'delusions'.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: