LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940964300

From: "Mary Brockmeyer" <>
Subject: Re: Re GRO records et al
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 11:58:20 -0700

Sally-

Thank for the great notes. It's very disheartening to finally get good at
gen research here in the States, and start work in Britain and realize you
have no skills at all.

I have to say - being a young country is helpful in some ways! My research
in Nebraska is simple because no one lived there much before 1869. Maine
however is harder, because they started settling Maine in the early 1700's
and no records were kept until mid 1800's. But still the work here has
spoiled me. The church was never in charge in the States, and with the
exception of a few county changes, we don't have a question as to where
records are kept.

So lessons like yours are important and helpful and I printed yours and am
taking to my dinky FHC this afternoon to see what they have.

Thanks again
Mary