LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0940970837

From: "Brian BROOKS" <>
Subject: RE: Southwark Cathedral - St. Saviours
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 21:47:17 +0100

Dave,

There is a St Saviour Church (Church of England, not Catholic) in
Northumbria Street, Poplar. As this is north of the Thames, I doubt if it
comes under the Diocese of Southwark, more likely the Diocese of London.
The parish registers are held at the London Metropolitan Archive.

The A to Z of Victorian London shows a Market Street in Poplar, running from
Upper North St. to Kerby St. parallel to East India Dock Road and not far
from St Saviour Church. It is quite common for both parties to be shown at
the same address. This meant that the banns only had to be said in one
parish and thus saved money!

Hope this helps,

Brian Brooks

Researching:
Clark, Maslin, Shea (Midlesex); Brooks, Clark, Ferns, Moore, Shea (Surrey);
Stamp, Riddle (Herts); Wilson (Hereford);
Carter (Salop); Brooks, Becquet (Channel Isles); Buckley, McCarthy
(Monmouth)

This thread: