LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0941024915

From: Donna Hawes <>
Subject: VYSE AND GOBBETT
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:48:35 -0400

Dear Listers,
I am new to your list . I am from CANADA and the first ancestor
came from
ENGLAND, NORFOLK, in fact, back in the mid 1800's.
His name was ROBERT VYSE, born or baptized in 1821 and his wife was

CHARLOTTE MARIA WARD GOBBETT(BD1826). They came to CANADA
in 1857-58, along with their son WILLIAM, (BD 1846)
The reason I am writing the LONDON L is because I have in my
possession
letters from relatives from UPPER SYNDENHAM, LONDON back in the 1930's.
WILLIAM, and his son, STEVE VYSE used to visit these relatives in
ENGLAND.
STEVE VYSE was in the 1st WW and visited UPPER SYNDENHAM while on
Leave from FRANCE. He ultimately married one of his cousins, distant, I
believe,
also with the SURNAME VYSE.
I would like to contact distant relatives, VYSE'S, to exchange any
information
you might have on this rather elusive family.
Also, I have 'DEATH NOTICES" of 2 VYSES from ENGLAND. There names
were CHARLES AND JAMES VYSE. I would like to know if these fellows were

indeed ROBERT'S brothers. On ROBERT'S Marriage Certificate it has his
father's
name as "JOHN".
I truly hope that this reaches some VYSE'S as I have been looking
for them
for a long long time. If anybody knows of any VYSE'S out there, even if
they are
not on 'THE LIST' would they be so kind as to see that they get this
message. I am
pretty sure that they would be related, even very distantly, as it is
such a small and
rare SURNAME.
Anxiously,
Donna (nee Vyse) HAWES,