LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0941099945

From: L J Simpson <>
Subject: Civil Engineers
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:39:05 -0400

I recently applied for and received the marriage certificate of a great
uncle and from it learned that my Great Grandfather's name was CHARLES
JAMES MCLELLAN and that he was a Civil Engineer. He died in 1870 and is
buried somewhere in London.

I would like to know if a Civil Engineer of that era c1830-1870 was the
same then as it is today.

A recent visitor to London informed me that in the area of Great Peter
Street (where the McLellan family lived) there was an INSTITUTE OF CIVIL
ENGINEERS in that area. Does anyone know the address of this organization
and if they would have information on former members?

I might as well include the information on this family while I'm writing

Charles James MCLELLAN (christened July 4, 1813, Crown Court Russel Street
Scotch Church, Westminster, London) and died c1870 (St. M?, Westminster).
He was the son of John and Mary McLellan.

married on February 23, 1850 to Mary Ann MIDDLEBOROUGH (daughter of Richard
and Sarah Ann MIDDLEBOROUGH) at St Pancras, Old Church. Mary Ann was
christened on May 9, 1830 at St. Pancras Old Church and died in 1916 in
Port Huron, Michigan, USA

They had seven children:

Jennie b c 1852
William b. c 1854
Charles b. c 1858
Andrew b. c 1861
Arthur b. c. 1863
Walter b. c. 1865
Eleanor b. c. 1867

These children were supposedly born in London (according to family legend).

They (except for Jennie) appeared in the 1871 as living in Sarnia, Ontario,
Canada.

Any more information on this family would be appreciated.

Leo Simpson
Kingston, Ontario

This thread: