LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0941107293

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: BEECHAM / CASE
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 11:41:33 +0100

In message <011d01bf2121$d7375bb0$>, "C. James
Hustler" <> writes
>Hi,
>
>Just joined the list after a long time away.
>
>I'm looking for BEECHAMs. My Gt Grandfather William Samuel BEECHAM was born
>in Bethnal Green in 1875 and he married Florice Grace CASE.
>I've recently discovered that William Samuels father was drowned in a river
>accident in 1878. William's mother then went to live with her husbands
>brother (Williams uncle) and they had several other children. Either this
>was an illegal marriage or they were merely living in sin!!
they certainly could not have married legally - so they probably did
just re-group informally

>Where could I find details about the river accident in 1878? Would it have
>been reported?
>Would there have been an obituary or a report in any of the newspapers?
>Or were river accidents/drownings commonplace ?
there were a fair number, but they were usually reported, unless there
was something REALLY important like a royal wedding or a hunt ball to
fill the paper. Worth trying in Palmer's index to The Times (good
reference libraries) which will pinpoint the date, checking the Times
and then perhaps going for a more local paper.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: