LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0941194109

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: Slough, Buckingham
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:48:29 +0100

>On the 1881 census index "Slough, Buckingham, England" is given as a place of
>birth. Where would I go to find the birth certificate - is Slough the
>Registration District and Buckingham the County? Should it be
>Buckinghamshire? Where is Slough, Buckingham? I would be grateful for any
>help. Thank you.
It is definitely Buckinghamshire (the LDS have truncated it for the CD
version, which can be confusing). The recent redrawing of county
boundaries has moved Slough into Berkshire, though all the parish etc
records are held in Bucks, at Aylesbury.
If the event is after July 1837, and has been registered, you should be
able to get it from Superintendent Registrar, Council Offices, Slough,
Berks for 6.50.
The IGI has events after this date indexed, under the name of the
parent parish, Upton cum Chalvey, so this may help you. Slough (meaning
muddy place) was just a tagged on area with wonderful market gardens
till they started developing industry.
--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society