LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0941394478

From: "Steve Jones" <>
Subject: [London] RE: SHIP PASSENGER LISTS FROM AMERICA
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 18:27:58 -0000

Hello Jim,
I have an ancestor who, like many, did the return trip from the Americas.
There was 'chain migration' which was fostered by the strong links that
existed between specific communities on each side of the Atlantic. There
must have been plenty of folk who made the return trip several times.

Anyway - I found my GtGrandfathers name in the passenger list for the
outward journey to NY in 1885. The ships list is now on the Immigrant Ship
Transcriber's Guild ISTG website. I still have a problem in finding his
return journey because, as far as I know, there are no indexes of the
passenger lists for folk arriving in the British Isles. A few days ago, I
put this as a question to the ISTG - I'll let you know of the outcome.

I just remembered that the inbound ship passenger lists for the British
Isles don't go back very far. This PRO information leaflet describes what is
available
http://www.pro.gov.uk/leaflets/ri2163.htm
The earliest records date from 1878 (Queenstown) and they are a bit patchy
until the 1890s

Cheers
Steve

Steve & Helen Jones in Weymouth, Dorset, England
ListAdmin Eng-Surrey-L Dorset-L Scammell-L
http://www.melcombe.freeserve.co.uk/

This thread: