LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 1999-10 > 0941400489

From: Kath Senior <>
Subject: [London] SPENCER: Shoreditch St Leonards
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 20:08:09 +0000

Hello List

I would be pleased to hear from anyone researching the same Spencer family.
Details are

James Edward Spencer (siblins Richard Thomas, Jennet Mary, Edgar John and
Lillian) whose parents were Richard Spencer and Jennet Ross. Richard was
born in Hoxton Old Town, Jennet in Bermondsey. A Richard Spencer in the BMD
indexes matches closely in birth date and place - in 1841 - his parents are
Thomas Spencer (stonemason) and Mary May. But, on Richard and Jennet's
marriage certificate, Richard Spencer's father is given as Charles Spencer
(stonemason). I know from the 1871 that Richard's mother was called Mary
but I am puzzled by the discrepancy.

>From the IGI I have identified a possible family descended from Thomas
Spencer and Sarah - children Charles Henry (b 1810; stonemason)Susannah (b
1811), Mary Ann (b 1813), William Henry (b 1815; stonemason), Thomas Edward
Spencer (b 1818; stonemason). These are definitely linked to my family as
James Edward Spencer's possessions included the funeral cards of both
Charles Henry and William Henry. I have proved beyond all reasonable doubt
that Thomas Edward was Richard's father.

If anyone can add to my information and help clarify what's going on, I
would love to hear from you.

Best wishes
Kath, Reading, UK

This thread: