LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-01 > 0947670297

From: "Cecilia Bell" <>
Subject: Re: MARRIAGE WITNESSES - for future researchers
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 09:44:57 -0000

Another feature of marriage witnesses in the past is that they were not
necessarily related to the couple. In my recent transcriptions, (1813 -
1837) by far the majority of witnesses would appear to have been church
wardens. The same names come up time after time.

Regards,

Cecilia in Essex, UK
Hunting for all SLEIGHTHOLM(E), LYTH, HOGGART, READMAN all in N.Yorks,
mainly pre 1800.
ANDERTON (Chorley), WHITESIDE (Blackburn), MOORE (Chorley), CROSS (Blackburn
& Liverpool),
SHAW (Blackburn), LIVESEY (Blackburn)
AMPHLETT, Worcestershire,
MILES, Eastleach Turville, Gloucestershire and Claines, Worcestershire.
John SAUL, St. Pancras, London. 1819 onwards.