LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-02 > 0951708582

From: "Zoe Archer" <>
Subject: Re: TRACING:BIGGS FAMILY TREE
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 22:29:42 -0500

Hi Nick,

If this is all you have you will have to start by obtaining the birth
certificate for your dad, this will give you his parents names. Once you
have his parents
names you can search for their marriage and births by checking the GRO
indexes and ordering their certificates. The GRO indexes will be your best
friend while you search back the next 100 years. Once you find someone
living in 1881 you will be able to check the nationally indexed 1881 census.

Meanwhile, here is a handy URL for info on certificates:

http://www.oz.net/~markhow/ukbirths.htm

Also check out the Genuki website which has a wealth of info:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/

HTH
Happy hunting,
Zoe Archer