LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-04 > 0956021570

From: Roz Griston <>
Subject: RE: Parish Registers
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:32:50 -0700

yes, unless that minister was out tending his flock..not having tea
with mrs. uppercrust and family. classism was a way of life in britain
and it is still dying a very slow death.
i mean seriously, to what purpose would it be to put an aside remark in
a register. it was labelling..and remember you could be considered a
whore for living with a man and never marrying him..but in the upper
circles the woman was called a consort. moral judgements went hand and
hand with one's financial status as well as birthright.

consider the term fallen woman..where had she fallen from?
roz