LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-06 > 0959931171

From: "Ray Brindle" <>
Subject: RE: [Lon] Woolwich Arsenal/Shantytown
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:32:51 +1000

Just to come back in on "Shanty Town". My mother says that is what the
residents in the Eltham area called the place she lived in in the early
1920s. Not wishing to offend the sensitivities of the good burghers of
Eltham, here is the response I got to an inquiry to the Lewisham Local
Studies Library:

"I understand from the staff at the Greenwich Local History Library,
Woodlands, Mycenae Road, London SE3 7SE (who can supply further details if
you write to them), that there was a large colony of hutments known as
'Shantytown', originally used by workers at the Woolwich Arsenal during the
Great War."

Subsequent information from others on this list is starting to flesh this
out a little. It does look like the estates gradually replaced the
temporary housing put there during WW1 to house the Arsenal workers.

Ray
In Central Victoria, Oz
(back from hospital already)