LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-06 > 0960572254

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: [Lon] 324 City Road in 1917
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:37:34 +0100

In message <033501bfcffc$aa201240$>, Paul and
Elaine Beckham <> writes
>I received my grandparent's 1917 wedding certificate recently and it shows
>that both of them are listed at the same address - were they being naughty
>or was it the normal practice to put down the address of the place you were
>going to live in?

they may have been lodging in the same house, or they may simply have
been economising - if you lived in different parishes, you should have
paid two sets of banns fees. But if you both stated the one address, one
set.
>Their residence is listed as 324 City Road. But I don't know which city....
>the church was the parish church in the parish of St. Marks, Clerkenwell in
>the county of London
>
>How would I find out where 324 City Road is, or was?
runs north from The City (the Square mile which was the heart of old
London) to Islington High St
(old rhyme -up and down the City Road, in and out the Eagle
that's the way the money oges, pop goes the weasel
(The Eagle being a large public house and the weasel the tailor's iron -
and pop is pawn.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society