LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-06 > 0961490935

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Census Thoughts [slightly off London topic]
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:48:55 +0100

>I have seen somewhere that the integrity is suspect at times, the enumerator
>sitting in the local pub asking who lived in the local farm etc. In fact I
>did see a reference that some enumerators were illiterate,

this is not at all likely, in the proper sense, since every one of them
had to sign their set of returns. Possibly what you say was that some
enumerators were not VERY literate - in other words, they could write
and read, but spelling was not their thing. You do get phonetic types of
spelling at times, often simple variants like Henery for Henry and Gorge
for George. And quite often you get odd versions of birthplaces - stands
to sense, if people come from foreign parts like the next county, or
even the wrong end of the home county, the enumerator is not likely to
have seen the word written down and does his best to render what may
have been stated in thick alien dialect.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: