LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-09 > 0969594056

From: "Rob and Pamela White" <>
Subject: [Lon] Birth Certificate Confusion - Help Needed...
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:40:56 -0700

Hello Listers:

I have read many valuable postings on this list, from people who seem to
know a heck of a lot more than I do about genealogy. I am hoping one of you
can help me with a conundrum.

I have just received from the PRO what I believe to be my gg grandfather's
birth certificate, with the details

When & Where born: 14 September 1848 - PA Roberts Buildings
Name: John
Father: John BOWEN
Mother: Elizabeth Ann BOWEN formerly WOOD
Occupation of Father: Commercial Traveler

On this John BOWEN's marriage certificate in 1876, is the following
information:

Father: John BOWEN, butler (deceased)
Mother: Elizabeth BOWEN m/s LAWN

My questions are: What were the PA Roberts Buildings? Could a commercial
traveler become a butler? and How can I explain the two different mother's
names? Elizabeth BOWEN was alive in 1891, so you would think that John
would know his mother's maiden name, right?

Sorry if I have rambled on, but I have waited so long to find this family, I
am quite discouraged that the information seems to point to a possibility
that I have the wrong certificate. The Vital Stats index showed no other
John BOWEN's born in London in those years.

HELP!

TIA
Pamela White
Victoria BC Canada