LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-10 > 0971022689

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Abney Park Burial - Social Standing?
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 17:31:29 +0100

>My great Grandparents George Thomas and Ann REDWOOD, are buried in Abney
>Park. One in 1890 and the other in 1922.

>The question to which I should like an answer, is did burial in Abney
>Park have any element of social or economic standing.

>on this.

It was a private cemetery and fairly expensive, so they must have been
comfortably placed to be buried there. Should be a will or two.

In the early days, Methodists and Independents (who could afford it)
chose to go there rather than any church graveyard.

Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society

This thread: