LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2000-12 > 0977371385

From: Roz Griston <>
Subject: RE: [Lon] Lime Burner
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 20:03:05 -0800

Quick lime or hot lime is made by super heating limestone. baking it
until it becomes ash. this ash is then mixed with water and sand to
create cement.

hot lime it is also used to "feed" fields, freshen outhouses and aid in
decomposing bodies.

when dry the stuff isn't to bad. but, you don't want any on your hands
when you rub your eye. the tiniest bit of moisture sets it off..very
painfully. it boils instantly. my cousin and i got into bags of lime
stored by my father. we never went near it again. my cousin is lucky
not to have been blinded.

nowadays, people purchasing it are often referred to a much safer
mixture.
roz

> An ancient occupation: making a constituent element for building
mortar
> (lime ash). (The Romans did it.) There are many Lime Kiln Roads
dotted
> about the country.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
....and for fertiliser, certainly in the West Country anyway from about
1600 (I
think the original query said Gloucs.)
The occupation had its hazards - quote from a book about my home
village in
Devon:

'Combe Martin folk used to recall the fate of Mr. Norman, who stepped
on the
crust formed by the burning lime at the top of Berry's Quarry kiln, to
make a
hole for a new supply of stone, and fell into the burning lime up to
his waist.
He was rescued but by that time was so badly burnt and in such pain
that he was
given drink to make him drunk and as pushed home in a hand cart singing
at the
top of his voice "Nearer my God to Thee". He died a few days later.'

Jo Taylor
~~~~~~