LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2001-04 > 0987200425

From: "Marine" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Occupation - Shipkeeper?
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:20:25 +0100

Quite often when a ship was tied up between trips or leave, to either the
dock or a buoy in the roads(anchorage) they would employ a person
"Shipkeeper" to ensure that the ship was secure from intruders and the
ropes were checked with changing tides, and let in or out as needed. Royal
Navy Reserve establishments always employed people to look after their
buildings and they were always known as Shipkeepers.
Roger former RNR/RM