LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2001-05 > 0988712723

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Sardinian Chapel
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:25:23 +0100

In message <>, Enrico Fanni
<> writes
>Sardinian Chapel is a Roman Catholic Chapel in Duke Street, St. Giles -
>now nomore called The Sardinian Chapel but
>the church of SS. Anselm & Cecilia.
>Is there anyone that can tell me why it was called Sardinian Chapel

It dates from 1648 as a building , and formed part of the residence of
the Sardinian Ambassador, where (from at least 1685) Italian and later
other Catholics were allowed to worship, even in the times when Catholic
chapels were forbidden and suspect. It was originally on the west side
of Lincoln's Inn Fields and was badly damaged by the mob during the
Gordon Riots in 1780, as a symbol of Catholicism. It was rebuilt and
enlarged westward into the former stables and for the first time had an
entrance other than through the house. It was superseded in 1820 by the
erection of St Mary's, Moorfield, Catholic church and later other
chapels. It remained in use by mainly foreign Catholics who lived
close by.

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society