LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2001-10 > 1002614492

From: "Wenda" <>
Subject: Re: [LON] Grocer(Victualler)
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:01:32 +0100

Hi Jackie in California (I 'replied' to '' but it bounced
back, so posting to List)

<<I too have a victauller grocer in Wales in the 1850's. What is type of
grocer is this?>>

I don't know!! I know I have heard the term in relation to 'grocers' as that
was my father's and grandfather's (& uncle's!) line of business. ('Victuals'
are foodstuffs) I don't think they knew it was a family 'tradition'!
I have seen an entry somewhere recently for 'Occupations' which might
explain the term - I shall have to do a search.
I'll let you know if I find out.

Wenda

This thread: