LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2001-11 > 1006372306

From: "Stephen Jones" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] S&N 1891 who ever owns the discs MUST read
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:51:46 -0000

From: "chrisbat" <>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 6:53 PM
<snipped>

> How about a single CD containing all of the errors and fully indexed (not
> name index or transcribed) this would also make searching sections that
were
> missing much easier, would significantly reduce their ongoing costs and
give
> us what we want a complete copy, the down side is that we would have to
wait
> until all the errors have been located, unless of course the already know
> them!
Chris, your excellent post got me thinking...

Could the additional material could be placed on a website for download by
users? Perhaps on the site set up for the indexing project?

The advantages would be quicker access and reduced costs all round. Updates
could be added as they are identified (and verified by S&N).

To avoid excessive download times the files would have to be restricted to
the smaller changes only. Once the main changes have been dealt with by the
issue of S&N, the web approach would provide a more tractable solution.
There is also the issue of crown copyright on the images of the census.

...my few penneth!
Steve

-- Stephen Jones, Surrey Listowner
--