LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2001-12 > 1008615058

From: "Astrid Terras" <>
Subject: [Lon] Printing trade in 19th century?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:51:47 -0500

Our NEWSTEAD family were in the printing trade in the 19th century,
including my husband's Great-Grandfather, John NEWSTEAD, who was born in
London (Hoxton) around 1864. He was a compositor (coincidentally, as I was
when I married my husband Andy), and later is said to have had his own
printing business.

Where can I find out more about the 19th and early 20th century printing
trade and the many occupations and skills involved at that time? I am
interested in the subject generally, but also specifically for the (East)
London area.

Thank you,
Astrid Terras Newstead
E-mail: