LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-01 > 1010796128

From: Craig Pickup <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Mile End Old Town
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 00:42:08 +0000

At 13:06 11/01/2002 +0000, John Henley wrote:
> > On the 1881 census, I have my FELTON family living in
> > Devonshire Street, Mile End Old Town, as it doesn't appear
> > in my London A-Z, I can only assume, it's gone with the
> > redevelopments. Has anybody any idea where it was?
> >
>I, too, have rellies there in 1881. I think it was roughly where COLEBERT
>AVENUE is today, north of Cephas Road. Extensive redevelopment in the East
>end since the war.

To be a little more precise tracing the road on my copy of an 1888 A to Z
and a current one, Devonshire Street was off Cambridge Road. The first part
of it is now the beginning of Cephas Road. Where that road today turns
slightly Devonshire Road swung north to join what is now Colebert Avenue.
It then continued crossing Globe Road into what today is called Bancroft
Road. Where Bancroft Road now turns sharply south was where Devonshire Road
used to finish and Bancroft Road used to commence.

At the corner of Globe Road and Devonshire Street there used to be a train
station called Globe Road and Devonshire Street Station. On the north side
of Devonshire Street were a couple of Almshouses. The rest of current day
Cephas Road used to be called St Peter Street and there was St Peter's
Church and school there. Just north of the station was Globe Road Wesleyan
Church and across the road a Baptist Chapel.

Towards Mile End Road there was Phoenix Distillery, Charrington's Brewery
and a music hall.

Hope that helps give a clear picture.

Craig Pickup

Genoot Ltd