LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-01 > 1011702714

From: Eve McLaughlin <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Help with 1891 census
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 12:31:54 +0000

In message <001201c1a0cf$02e63400$>, Vera Brierley
<> writes
>Hello
>I have had the 1891 cd since they first came out and sat for weeks and weeks
>looking at them I have found none of my family which I know are on there today I
>have been in to the main index and looked for Park Lane but it found nothing I
>must ask am I doing it correct I have been doing Genealogy for 10 years and I am
>really stumped with these cds the 1881 was a good set why could they have not
>done these in the same way

Because doing the 1881 involved the assistance of many hundreds of
volunteers and many thousands of hours of work. The 1881 is a
transcription, by no means perfect, and the 1891 census is a facsimile,
presented in the way censuses have always been presented and have always
been searched - i,e, the raw dat is there and you have to search for the
entry you want. The bonus is that you can do it at home instead of
travelling to see it

--
Eve McLaughlin

Secretary Bucks Genealogical Society