LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1018299660

From: "earl goodwin" <>
Subject: [Lon] Reading Wills
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 22:01:00 -0700

Saw Sue's note about the difficulty of reading old writing.
If anyone with a similar problem is within striking distance of where the original is stored you may
find that the original is very much easier to read. I found a family Will 1828 and like hers it was
in very flowery writing and took a long time to read. Basically, many wills were copied out by
clerks in Court writing before being officially stored and these copies are generally what we get to
see on film. Because I am close to the PRO Kew I was able to ask for the original. When I saw it it
was very easy to read and as a bonus there were other documents attached to it not mentioned in the
microfilm index which shed a lot of light on other matters.

This thread: