LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1018300590

From: Guy Etchells <>
Subject: Re:[Lon] 1911 UK census date
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 22:20:35 +0100

There is actually nothing to prevent the 1911 census being released
today, no promises were made of privacy for 100 years and the government
rules actually demand that both the 1901 & 1911 census were released
after

You may wish to follow this link to find out about the 100 year closure
myth.
http://members.aol.com/census1911/news.htm

In particular go to
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/cgi-bin/empower?DB=ukparl

In the Question box type 55825
In the date boxes type 19981026

You will find that the census up to and including 1971 did not promise
100 year closure and so they could be open after 30 years.
As allowed for under the 1958 Public Records Act as quoted in the
excerpt below by Denis McCready, Editor of Census Access News

> Under the provisions of section 5[3] of the Public Records Act 1958,
the chief executive of the Public Record
> Office has a statutory duty "to arrange that reasonable facilities
are available to the public for inspecting and
> obtaining copies of public records in the Public Record Office" as
soon as those records are 30 years old UNLESS a > particular record -
such as the 1911 Census records - has actually been listed by a Lord
Chancellor in a special legal > document called an Instrument. Each
year, Lord Chancellors sign new Instruments to extend [or even reduce]
the > closure periods on documents.

Within the past 3 years, Ministers have informed Parliament that the
1921, 1951 and 1961 censuses have been listed separately in three
different Instruments BUT the 1901 and 1911 censuses have NEVER been
listed in ANY Instruments. So, it seems that the 1901 and 1911 censuses
have been closed without lawful authority.

Cheers
Guy

--
Wakefield England

http://freespace.virgin.net/guy.etchells Transcripts, Parish
Records, Calendar, Scaleable Map of Uk. Link to LDS website,
Abbreviations, Returns of Owners of Lands etc. etc.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/dh/ Whitefield
Transcripts, Etch/ells Transcripts
http://gye.future.easyspace.com Worldwide Cemetery Links, Monumental
Inscriptions, War Graves, etc.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~framland/framland/york.htm
Yorkshire Pages, Photos, and transcripts with a Yorkshire flavour
--

> Are you talking about the 1911 or the 1901? Surely the 1911 won't be
> available until 2011 if the usual rules apply! I have a feeling, although I
> haven't yet consulted it, that the 1901 is available at records offices but
> still hasn't made to the Internet. It may have managed it by now, though, as
> I haven't checked recently.
>
> Audrey

This thread: