LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1018366525

From: "Frank W" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] Shadwell St Paul Records?
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 16:35:25 +0100

Hi Liz

LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) hold parish registers for
St Paul, The Highway, Shadwell, Stepney List No P93/PAU3

Bapt 1670-1927 Marr 1671-1934 Bur 1670-1903

For a marriage in 1803 you should find the following:

Marital Status of Groom and Bride (Bach Spin, Widr, Widw)
(No indication of ages, unless a parent's or guardians permission is noted,
implying marriage of a minor.)
Parish of each (otp, if 'of this parish' , or the name of the parish if
different)
(no street names likely)

Names of Witnesses and officiating clergy.

You are not likely to find any details of names for the fathers of Bride and
groom, except if they are shown as Witnesses, and no details as to
professions, or whether still living.

Earliest date of marriage entries I have transcribed which contain father's
details are 1838, but probably started in 1837 with the later style of
marriage registers brought into use with Civil Registration

Hope this is of use.

Frank W