LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1018424457

From: "Ken Boyce" <>
Subject: Re: [Lon] FreeCEN Project
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 00:40:57 -0700

Hi Vivian thanks for the information.

I am not against full transcription but I do have some observations and
concerns

The concept of transcribing all records began when internet graphics, large
storage capacity, and data CDs and DVDs were a dream for most. Today
graphics, storage and media are cheap and common place.

A transcription is just that and is only someone's interpretation of the
primary record (I am a transcriber and know how difficult it is) Many errors
occur and the search engine inputs have to be kept simple for mass use (an
example is the unforgiving IGI engine).

Full transcription is a much longer process that simple indexing
(the error rate in the names/age will be the same assuming a similar
checking process)

Viewing a hardcopy of the primary record is still a vital part of the
process, transcription or not.

If graphical images of the primary records become available online or on low
priced removable media then the transcriptions could become largely
redundant.

For many of us off-shore tithe cost of the S&N 1891 CDs was small in
comparison with viewing/getting the film/hardcopy. Even a cheap printer
gives good hardcopy of the folio pages.

Would it not be preferable to find a way to encourage low cost access to
published copies of primary documents (such as S&N, Archive etc.) and to
concentrate on indexing these.

I would welcome the views of others

Having made these observations I will still continue to transcribe.