LONDON-L Archives

Archiver > LONDON > 2002-04 > 1018662121

From: <>
Subject: [Lon] Apprentices in 1884
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 02:42:04 +0100

I have a grandfather William TAYLOR, b. abt 1869, Barnsley, Yks, and apparently apprenticed as a glassmaker in 1884 aged 21 in Barnsley (seems wrong age or wrong person) according to a glass making historians database.

Possibly in Brightside Bierlow, Sheffield
in 1881 census.

He was living in West Ham in 1901 census.

At Marriage he was a glass blower, aged 27) in 1896, Canning Town

My question is was it unusual to be apprenticed as late as age 21?
How long would a typical apprenticeship last?
If indentured could he have left before his time was up to move to London?

George

Best Wishes
George Toth
Stockport, Cheshire (Greater Manchester), UK

Some names under research:
CASE anywhere in the world (I subscribe to
CASE-Family-D list)
TOTH - UK, north America & Europe
AREOFF (several spellings inc AIROV).
ALGER of West Ham and Lincolnshire.
TAYLOR, Barnsley area (pre 1895), Yorks & West Ham (Canning Town post 1895)
THORPE & NICHOLLS (Yorks, West Ham)

Please note - This digital cable Television system accepts text emails but rejects many other formats. It also adds the truncated original message as an attachment when replying. It does not have a cut & paste or address book. George

This thread: